Choosing An HVAC Contractor? 10 Steps To Simplify Your Job
Your HVAC system is a major part of your home and plays a big role in your family’s finances, comfort and health. Choosing an HVAC contractor can therefore be a big decision to make. To simplify the job, here are 10 steps to ensure you will be happy with the HVAC contractor you choose.
- Check their license and insurance. In North Carolina, HVAC contractors have to be licensed by the State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors. They should also be insured to protect you, the homeowner, from any accidents.
- Look for NATE-certified technicians. NATE certification means that the technicians have passed the professional exam used to ensure that HVAC contractors are fully trained and qualified for the job.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau. The BBB keeps track of customer complaints and often gives a letter grade, from F to A+.
- Ask for references. A company should be able to provide a list of previous customers you can check with to see if they were happy with the contractor’s work.
- Ask people you know about their experiences. If friends or neighbors have hired the company in the past, they can give you an unbiased opinion of the contractor’s quality and customer service.
- Consider their experience. Generally speaking, the longer the company’s history, the better.
- Get a home evaluation. An HVAC contractor should fully evaluate your home before determining the best solution.
- Tell them your troubles. It’s in your best interests to help the contractor help you by informing them of any previous HVAC trouble you’ve experienced or any comfort problems you’d like addressed.
- Listen for recommendations. If the contractor is truly interested in what is best for you, they will explain your options and may recommend upgrades that will pay off over time.
- Get it in writing. Before any work begins, you should have itemized paperwork showing the exact work to be done and the exact price.
If you’re looking for a skilled and trustworthy HVAC repair service, look no further than Smoky Mountain Heating & Air. We’ve been serving homeowners throughout the Asheville area and can answer any questions you have have about your home’s HVAC needs.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about choosing a contractor and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Smoky Mountain Heating & Air services Asheville, North Carolina and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
Image via Shutterstock.com