As with anyone who may be doing work on your home, it’s important to ask your HVAC contractor some key questions before hiring, because afterwards it may be too late. Regardless of whether you’re hiring an HVAC contractor for installation, service, repair or maintenance, here are five questions you’ll want some clear answers to:
1. Can I see your license? – It’s not only important to see the contractor’s license, but to perform a license search as well to ensure that it’s valid. This can be done through the North Carolina Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkling Contractors where you can perform the search online.
2. Do you have references? – A good contractor will have a list of references for you to choose from, but they can only help if you call them and ask questions. Inquire as to the quality of work, as well as the timeliness and attitude of the contractor.
3. Will you be getting a work permit before you begin? – In the state of North Carolina, statutes and codes require work permits for changes or additions regarding HVAC systems.
4. How many years have you been in business? – Prior to hiring an HVAC contractor, it’s important to know how many years of experience they bring to the table. While it’s not an exact measure of quality, it may give you some peace of mind to know whether or not a contractor is well established.
5. What type of warranty do you offer? – A warranty is your greatest protection against faulty workmanship or parts. Knowing beforehand how well a contractor stands behind his work can save you time and money down the road.
To read more about how to select the right contractor for the job, as well as answers to other HVAC questions, obtain a free copy of our Home Comfort Solutions Guide. For help from an HVAC contractor who will provide satisfactory answers to all of your questions, contact Smoky Mountain Heating & Air.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about hiring an HVAC contractor and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Smoky Mountain Heating & Air services Asheville, North Carolina and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offersand get started today!
|Maintenance Man image via Shutterstock