3 Insider Tips For Programmable Thermostats To Optimize Benefits
If you’re considering upgrading to a programmable thermostat for your home, you are on the right track. Programmable thermostats can help you lower your energy bills significantly, but you have to understand the settings that will take advantage of the thermostat’s features.
In order to be most effective, programmable thermostats have to installed properly. It is critical to the operation and efficiency of the entire system that the installation is perfect, so hire a professional.
Whether you choose a single thermostat or a multi-thermostat system, the location of each device has to allow for accurate temperature readings.
- Sunlight: Programmable thermostats should not be placed in rooms that receive significantly more or less sunlight than the rest of the house. Rooms with large windows or direct sunlight affect the readings.
- Drafts: Open doors or windows and air conditioning vents can affect the reading if a draft constantly hits the thermostat and cause it to switch “On” too often.
Once the installation and location are optimized, you still need to program the settings well to maximize the benefits and features.
- Schedule: Many programmable thermostats have individual settings for each day of the week. Choose one that has this feature and take the time to set each day according to your typical schedule.
- Don’t override: It usually takes about 15 minutes to change the temperature in the entire house so set the temperature accordingly. For example, if you go to sleep at 10 p.m., set the temperature change to begin at 9:45 p.m. If you happen to stay up a little later, try not to use the override because using it decreases efficiency.
- Decrease demand: Lower the demand one or two degrees at a time to save even more. If you’re comfortable at 70 degrees in the summer, try raising the temperature to 72 degrees and wait two weeks to see if your body adjusts.
If you would like more specific tips for setting the programmable thermostats in your home, contact us at Smoky Mountain Heating & Air. We proudly provide expert service to Asheville and the surrounding area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about programmable thermostats and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Smoky Mountain Heating & Air services Asheville, North Carolina and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
Thermostat image via Shutterstock