Winter is here, and you’ve no doubt already turned your heat on to keep you warm as the temperatures have dropped. If you haven’t already had your annual preventive-maintenance check for your heating system, now’s the time, before the real chilly weather set in.
Problems can develop on even the best-maintained HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) system, but ensuring that yours gets its annual inspection helps guard against issues that could result in expensive repairs and high energy costs. If you live or own a business in the Asheville area, Smoky Mountain Heating & Air provides an exceptional preventive maintenance plan, which includes service for residential and light-commercial systems. When performing preventive maintenance on your HVAC equipment, one of our expert technicians will:
- Clean or replace your air filters: Dirt is the main cause of heating system problems. Filters prevent dirt from entering the unit and building up in the system. Filters must be changed or cleaned regularly to maintain their effectiveness. This is an easy task to do on most equipment, and our service technician can show you how to change the filter so your system will run efficiently all winter.
- Lubricate the equipment: Any moving parts in your unit, such as the blower motor and bearings, need lubrication for optimal performance. Lack of lubrication will cause friction, which results in quicker wear on your parts and potential breakdowns.
- Adjust the thermostat: Our technician will verify the temperature accuracy on your thermostats, and check the settings to confirm it goes on and off per the programmed temperatures you’ve established.
- Tighten connections and belts: Your technicians will inspect and then tighten, as necessary, all electrical connections, and adjust the tension on belts. Furthermore, your technician will replace any worn belts and inspect connections for signs of damage or wear.
- Examine ductwork: Our technician will inspect your ductwork for leaks or loose connections, and then seal ductwork, replace worn duct insulation, and check airflow to your rooms to correct any cold spots.
- Inspect burners and heat exchangers: A build-up of dirt on the burners will decrease your system’s efficiency. Your technician will inspect your heat exchanger for cracks, and then discuss your options if leaks are found. A cracked heat exchanger can be very dangerous, as it can allow carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless and potentially lethal gas, to leak into your home.
At Smoky Mountain Heating & Air, our specialists are knowledgeable in the latest maintenance technology for your heating system. Contact our friendly staff, if you have any questions on preventive maintenance or other HVAC issues. We serve residential and light-commercial customers in Asheville and the surrounding communities.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Asheville, North Carolina and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock