Poor air quality is the result of microscopic particles floating through your home’s air. These airborne contaminants are commonly found in day-to-day lives and negatively affect our health and the health of our loved ones. These microscopic nuisances include dust and dirt, pet dander, mold and mildew and chemical fumes. Electronic air cleaners can help improve your home’s indoor air quality.
According to the EPA, your home’s indoor air can be five times more polluted than the air found outdoors. This poor indoor air quality leads to various health complications including itchy eyes, scratchy throat, headaches, sneezing, fatigue and nausea. It can also aggravate asthma, allergy, bronchitis and COPD symptoms. Thankfully, air cleaners help keep your indoor air clean and improve your overall well-being.
Various types of air cleaners are readily available and include:
- Mechanical – Using a fan, the mechanical air cleaner forces indoor air through a filter trapping the airborne particles.
- Electrical – Electrical cleaners use an electrical charge to charge the ions in the indoor air. The ions will then attach to the airborne particles and both become attracted to the collector plate.
- Hybrid – Hybrid systems implement elements from electrostatic and mechanical filters.
- Gas phase filters – Used to remove gaseous pollutants, these filters use a chemical and sorption reaction or carbon to remove fumes, odors and gases.
- Whole-house air cleaners – These units provide complete protection throughout your home and typically attach to your HVAC unit.
- Portable units – Portable cleaners are generally less expensive than whole-house models, but they only provide protection in single rooms.
Before you purchase the air cleaner, consider speaking with a trusted HVAC company. An experienced company will be able to provide you with the options best suited for the size of your home, your budget and your specific needs.
For more information about air cleaners and which one is right for your home, contact the experts at Smoky Mountain Heating & Air. We provide affordable and trustworthy heating, cooling and indoor air quality services to the residents and businesses of the Asheville area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Asheville, North Carolina and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock