Energy-Saving Tips In Your Asheville Home To Manage Your Heating Budget
With energy costs on the rise here in North Carolina, there has never been a better time to find ways to reduce your home’s energy usage. Try using the following energy-saving tips in your Asheville home to cut your winter heating costs:
- Set the temperature in your house as low as possible without sacrificing comfort. To find the ideal temperature, try setting your thermostat to 68 degrees. Then, slowly lower it one degree each week until it reaches a point where your house starts to feel uncomfortable.
- Use a programmable thermostat to automatically lower the temperature while you are away from home or sleeping.
- Wear sweaters or other warm clothing around the house so you can keep the temperature set lower.
- Clean or replace your furnace filter regularly throughout the winter heating season. This improves airflow to your heating system, which in turn helps to boost efficiency.
- Schedule an annual tuneup for your HVAC system. During the tune-up, a technician will clean, inspect and lubricate your system from top to bottom, helping to maximize efficiency.
- Seal air leaks in the exterior of your home. Unsealed cracks and openings are one of the leading causes of energy loss in the average home. Common problem areas for leaks include the spaces around windows, doors, ducts, wires and plumbing fixtures.
- If you have outdated heating equipment, consider updating it with new, energy efficiency equipment. In some cases, the cost of the new equipment can quickly be offset through energy savings.
- Seal leaky ductwork to minimize energy loss. Duct sealing can dramatically boost the energy efficiency of your entire heating system, while at the same time improving indoor air quality.
Using the above energy-saving tips in your Asheville home can help you significantly lower your annual heating costs. If you would like more great ideas for how to reduce your energy costs, or if you would like to schedule a service visit for your HVAC system, contact us at Smoky Mountain Heating & Air.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy-savings and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Smoky Mountain Heating & Air services Asheville, North Carolina and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.