Although Asheville enjoys temperate weather, the area does experience four distinct seasons and an average of 17 inches of snow each winter. That’s why achieving whole-house energy savings is a major goal for many homeowners. Some energy-saving tips:
- Replace outdated appliances. Appliances account for 17 percent of a household’s yearly energy usage.
- Open and close your draperies and shades to increase your comfort level as well. Open to the warming rays of the sun in winter, and close against the same heat in the long days of summer.
- Insulation. A good system of insulation is one of the quickest ways for whole-house energy savings.
Typically, your household heating and cooling costs account for 43 percent of your utility bill. To keep your heating and cooling costs down:
- Change or clean your air filter regularly.
- Seal all air leaks and openings to the outside. Use caulking, expansion foam for seams and cracks and foam gaskets behind outlet and switch plates.
- Schedule a yearly HVAC service and cleaning by a service professional. He can inspect and update your home heating, ventilation and air conditioning system.
For optimal whole-house energy savings, an HVAC pro may recommend:
- Programmable thermostats: These operate your system, at your preset schedule and times. Wake up in winter to an already warmed home, and sleep peacefully in cool air conditioned air on the hottest of summer nights.
- Zoning systems: Do you feel cold spots in some rooms and another may feel like a garden hothouse? Zoning systems can control temperatures in one zone or a group of rooms.
- Furnace replacement: Your furnace may have outlived its usefulness. Perhaps it never was the correct size to adequately heat and cool your home to a comfortable level.
For help achieving whole-house energy savings all year long, contact the friendly pros at Smoky Mountain Heating and Air.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy savings and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Smoky Mountain Heating & Air services Asheville, North Carolina and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!