Ductless Mini Splits: 6 Big Benefits
Ductless mini splits are small heat pumps that require no ductwork to function. They’re popular choices for homes that don’t have a ducted heating/cooling system, either throughout the home or in specific rooms. They can also be used when an addition has been placed on a home or business and no ductwork can be installed due to cost or feasibility.
Advantages of ductless mini splits
- Ductless mini splits are versatile and don’t require a great deal of space for installation. A mini split’s small size means it can be suspended from the ceiling, installed in a wall or mounted flush in a drop-down ceiling.
- Each unit has its own thermostat, so if you have more then one mini split, you’re able to use only the ones in the rooms that are occupied if you’d like. This makes the mini split highly energy efficient. The lack of ducts also means that heat won’t escape through cracks or other gaps in the ductwork. The air from a mini split will go directly into the room it was designed to cool or heat.
- Most models can be operated with a small handheld remote from across a room. This makes this system extremely simple and convenient to use.
- The mini split unit only requires a small hole for installation, unlike other types of heating and cooling choices. Generally, only a three or four inch hold is required in the wall to install a mini split.
- Mini splits are environmentally friendly, using a R410A refrigerant.
- Made up of an indoor and outdoor unit, the mini split features quiet operation.
If you’re interested in installing a ductless mini split in your home, contact the experts at Smoky Mountain Heating & Air. We serve homeowners in and around the Asheville area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Asheville, North Carolina and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock