Fuel-Burning Appliances In Your Home? You Need A CO Monitor
As an energy- and money-conscious homeowner, you probably know that fuel-burning appliances can help you save on your utility bills each month. But did you also know that the carbon monoxide they emit, if left unchecked, could endanger your family? If you’re a homeowner or even renting a home in the Asheville area, you need to be aware of how important a CO monitor can be.
The production of carbon monoxide
When fuel burns, it produces a certain amount of carbon monoxide, depending on the appliance. When a fuel-burning appliance such as a furnace, stove, dryer, water heater or grill is working properly and the area is properly ventilated, a small amount of carbon monoxide is released into the air. Unfortunately, leaks and malfunctions do happen, which is why hundreds of deaths and thousands of injuries from carbon monoxide exposure occur every year. Therefore, it’s important that you be well prepared.
Symptoms of carbon dioxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas. Without a CO monitor to protect your family, exposure to the gas can cause a wide variety of symptoms. These can include headache, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, vomiting and a large number of other problems. If undetected, too much exposure can lead to much more serious complications such as long-term health issues, unconsciousness and death.
The safety of a carbon monoxide monitor
When used correctly and in the right spots—close to bedrooms, on each floor of your house, etc.—CO monitors can be a lifesaver. They work in the same fashion as a smoke detector, except that instead of heat and smoke, a CO monitor detects unhealthy levels of carbon monoxide in your home. All monitors on the market today must meet a set standard of sensitivity toward carbon monoxide, so with proper placement and occasional testing, a monitor will help keep your family safe.
For more expert advice about a CO monitor for your home or for questions relating to home comfort, please contact the friendly professionals at Smoky Mountain Heating & Air. We are the Asheville area’s one-stop source for indoor home comfort.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Asheville, North Carolina and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock