Keeping your home free of allergens is essential to providing a healthy, clean environment for your family, especially if you live with anyone that suffers from respiratory or allergy problems. If you follow the seven tips below, you can help to kept allergies out of your home more effectively.
- Reduce mold by making sure your HVAC system is the proper size for your home and effectively reduces humidity and energy consumption. Ask your HVAC technician for an assessment of your system and have him or her also check cooling coils and drain pans where fungus can build up.
- De-clutter your home to reduce dust buildup. Get rid of items you no longer need and try to keep shelves clear of items that can attract dust.
- When it comes to dusting, always use microfiber clothes. These are great at attracting more dust particles and are cost effective because they can be washed and reused.
- Keep pollen out of your home by never sleeping with the windows open, especially at night.
- Add an air cleaning system to your home. Available in both portable and whole-house systems, these help to improve the air quality in your home and reduce air pollutants.
- Use a humidifier to help lower the humidity level in your home, which can affect those with asthma, allergies or other respiratory issues.
- Keep your HVAC air filters clean and help reduce airborne debris which can make it difficult for anyone with allergies to breathe.
By following the steps outlined above, you can better keep dust, mold and other air pollutants out of your home and help the ones you love breathe just easier no matter what the season.
For more expert tips on keeping allergies at bay or for advice on issues related to home comfort in and around the Asheville area, feel free to contact Smoky Mountain Heating & Air.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Asheville, North Carolina and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Image courtesy of Shutterstock