Nowadays there are many models and brands of high-efficiency air-conditioning systems on the market. If your current air conditioning is not running efficiently, it likely affects the quality of your home comfort and raises your bill. Now is the time to think about installing high-efficiency air conditioning.
Central air conditioners are comprised of a system of supply and return ducts that circulate cooled air throughout your home. Air comes into your rooms through grill-covered vents located in your floor, walls or ceiling. As cool air circulates through your home, it gradually becomes warmer. It is then drawn back into the air conditioner through a return vent located in the walls, ceiling or floor.
You have two options for a central air conditioner: a packaged unit or a split-system unit.
- A packaged unit has a compressor, evaporator and condenser combined into a single cabinet. It is usually installed on your roof or on a concrete slab by the foundation of your house. Supply and return ducts pass from the unit to your house through the roof or exterior walls.
- A split-system air conditioner has an outdoor cabinet containing the compressor and condenser and an indoor unit containing the evaporator. Ductwork passed from the two units via your basement, attic or crawlspace.
Features to look for in a high-efficiency air conditioner:
- A seasonal energy efficiency ratio (SEER) of 13 or above.
- A high temperature rating greater than 11.6. This guarantees the unit will operate efficiently during high temperatures.
- A variable speed handler to provide the most efficient air control.
- A fan-only switch. This will reduce the cost of ventilation at night.
- A filter check light. This will indicate when you need to check the filter after a designated number of operating hours.
Our expert technicians at Smoky Mountain Heating & Air have been providing quality, reliable heating, ventilation and air conditioning installation and repair to the residents of Asheville since 1955. We are dedicated to providing quality customer care. Contact us to find out more about our products and to schedule an appointment today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about high efficiency air conditioning and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Smoky Mountain Heating & Air services Asheville, North Carolina and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!