If you do not participate in a routine A/C maintenance plan, dust will build up on the coils, filters and ducts of your unit, slowing its performance and costing you money. Overtime, the air quality will decline and eventually the system will fail. As a homeowner, there are several tasks you can perform to improve your air conditioner’s efficiency:
- Clean or replace dirty filters.
- Remove dust from return grills in your rooms.
- Clear the area around the condenser of debris, such as leaves, dead grass and dirt.
- Remove dirt or dust from the condenser and coils
These tasks are just a beginning. If your system is several years old and was not cleaned by a specialist in years, consider hiring a professional technician to complete extensive A/C maintenance. A pro has the tools, equipment and experience to locate and clean or repair problems before they become costly expenses. Comprehensive A/C maintenance would include:
- Cleaning evaporator coils: Dust gathering on the coils acts as insulation and hinders the transfer of heat and the cooling process.
- Inspecting condensate pan and drain: An accumulation of water in the pan is the result of dirt blocking the drain. This excess water will add humidity in the air circulating in your home. Too much humidity will form mold in the ducts or other parts of the unit.
- Fixing leaky ducts: Leaks form when brittle duct tape cracks or joints loosen. These leaks allow unconditioned air or dust to enter the ducts changing the quality of air flowing to your rooms.
- Checking refrigerant levels: There are specific requirements of refrigerant levels for your system set by the manufacturer. Leaks will produce low levels of refrigerant, which is dangerous for the environment.
- Examining insulation: Insulation on the refrigerant line is subject to outside elements and becomes worn or damaged losing the refrigerant cooling.
If you live in Asheville or surrounding areas, contact our team of professionals at Smoky Mountain Heating & Air for more information on preventive A/C maintenance.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Smoky Mountain Heating & Air services Asheville, North Carolina and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
|Energy Efficiency image via Shutterstock|